Photo Credit: Public Domain
A Brief History of Anthony Wayne Chapter NSDAR
The Anthony Wayne Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR or DAR) was organized in Mankato, Minnesota, on June 20, 1899. The chapter was named after General Anthony Wayne, one of George Washington’s favorite generals and Battle of Stony Point hero. The chapter was instrumental in organizing the first chapter of the American Red Cross in the area in 1917.
During World War II, the chapter was the leading Mankato women’s organization in the USO drive. In 1926 the chapter erected a plaque marking the site of Fort LeHillier. In 1927, the site of the first log school in Mankato was marked with a plaque. In 1958, the chapter placed a bronze marker on the First Presbyterian Church to honor its original town bell from 1857. In 1999, in observation of their 100 years of service, the chapter dedicated a plaque to Minnesota River steam-boating on Riverfront Drive in Mankato. In Mankato’s Glenwood Cemetery, two metal plaques honor Elizabeth Bunker Wallingford, widow of a Revolutionary soldier, and Elizabeth Wallingford Durkee, “Real Daughter” and Anthony Wayne Chapter NSDAR member. The burial place of Margaret Goff Moore Benson, another “Real Daughter” and chapter member, is marked at Rose Hill Cemetery in Wells, Minnesota. In connection with national defense, the chapter annually awards a medal to honor an outstanding ROTC cadet at Minnesota State University, Mankato. The chapter takes part in historical pageants and parades, assists in citizenship classes, presents flags and documents to the schools, conducts history essay contests in area schools, and recognizes outstanding teachers of American history.